Hands

 
Hands (plural),

my hands (also plural);

there’s two of them:

extensions from the same one trunk,

but also not hands,

also skin, hair

and bones I can’t see,

and blood I infer

from the swollen veins

of a languid summer tryst.


Hands but also tools

to tie, press, grasp, hold;

moving tools; climbing tools;

tools to turn things over

and make sense.

Hands but symbols also:

semaphores for the deaf,

a thumbs up and a clap.

Instruments for appreciative sounds,

together,

for anger slapped down

on a hard wood table.
 
Hands but also roots

for digging into the world;

lines of communication

for my sense, perception.

Digits on which I count

1, 2, 3, 4…

Palms on which I rest the coconut.

Hands but also evidence

of time:

of ageing, eating, that last cigarette

lingers on the fingers

Hands but also biographies:

the one broken page book of our lives;

an afterthought of DNA.

We say hands

but know the language fails us

and leaves us wanting

for imprecision,

so when I take your hand in mine

know, it makes so much more

than simply hands.


Simon Leake



Hands by Harry Wareham



Want to write for us?

If you would like to submit an article for consideration, please contact thephilosophytakeaway@gmail.com

Search This Blog