A Coffee Cup Consideration - by David McDonagh


A Coffee Cup Consideration

I notice a small black coffee cup resting upon an orange plate. I couldn’t guess its entire dimensions in numbers, but when I hug the rim of the top using my thumb and pointer fingers nearly two inches of space is left exposed. The handle, which I have now examined for some time, resembles to me a bowtie. Now, let it be known that in fact this handle presents no similarity to any bowtie I have seen or experienced. The bowtie was subconsciously or unconsciously immediately presented to me without any conscious analytical consideration. When I attempted to conduct an analysis of the handle I found it difficult to think of anything other than a bowtie. The more I concentrated on the qualities of this handle, the more I felt it would be impossible to find anything to say or think about it without measuring with exactness its physical dimensions. If not to measure, then I felt my only other option would be to resign myself to accepting the description of bowtie.

by David McDonagh 

Want to write for us?

If you would like to submit an article for consideration, please contact thephilosophytakeaway@gmail.com

Search This Blog