Are the ’isms now wasms?

A note on Soo Tian Lee’s article on –isms.

At the time of the Molotov-Rippentrop Pact in 1939 (no I wasn’t there!), between the Nazis and Stalin, a sadly unnamed wit in the British Foreign Office observed “All the Isms are now Wasms”. If we feel this today, we might well feel like saying that “I am an Ism-free Zone.” But perhaps they are merely pragmatic... or perhaps they are not even that.

Now, some time before Issue 34, before we indicated the issue articles belonged, Soo Tian Lee wrote On the Claim of Not Being an ‘-ist’ of Any Sort. In this he stated:

My view on this is quite simple: to claim that one is not an ‘-ist’ (or an ‘-ian’, an ‘-ive’, or whatever suffix one uses) is to hide from oneself and (some) others the views that one really does hold. And the danger with this is that quite often, these views will just be rather mainstream and, quite possibly, rather centrist. In other words, the dominant strands of political thought that are the building blocks of one’s political viewpoint will be the ones that are widely accepted and transmitted through newspapers, popular film and music, random conversations on the bus, and so on. For example, I have never met a post-political person who did not think that capitalism is the least objectionable (if not the best) way to organise society. Neither have I met a post-political person who objected to society being organised according to hierarchical structures. In both these cases, there were political beliefs behind these opinions, namely supporting capitalism and believing in formalised leadership. But these political beliefs were hidden by claims which rejected ‘politics of the old sort’, claims which acted as a fig leaf that covered the nakedness of the post-political position.

In fact my very first article in this Newsletter, way back in 2011, was to be a reply to this perception, but I was told to write about ‘Love’ instead. Which I did, but I wasn’t to be outdid: my article was entitled Love: the ultimate -ism!

In fact I think we can turn to the prevailing analyses of modern logic, which deals in strong and weak operators. I gave a hit of this in Love: the ultimate -ism, when I contrasted



with



this latter being an example of a weak modal operator.

What is the difference between a strong and weak operator: if X is possible, this means that non-X is not necessary. Like if Y is permissible, then not doing Y is not obligatory.

So when people say they don’t have any –isms, they should mean they don’t believe in anti-capitalism. This does not in fact strictly mean they believe in capitalism, but if capitalists are going to abuse the trust-by-default of these people, it is sufficient that they have a weak belief in capitalism.

So if I do not believe in the activities of Iain Duncan Smith, if I have no strong belief they are wrong, then in effect I weakly believe that his actions are right.

Surely you don’t believe in scroungers? Or DO you?

Martin Prior

Philosophy Takeaway Newsletter 64

Want to write for us?

If you would like to submit an article for consideration, please contact thephilosophytakeaway@gmail.com

Search This Blog